Areas of Practice:
- Trademark Law
- Copyright Law
- Unfair Competition
- Internet Matters
- California, 1980
University of California at Los Angeles School of Law, Los Angeles, California, 1980, J.D.
University of California, Los Angeles, California, 1980,
M.B.A. Occidental College, Los Angeles, California, 1974, B.A.
- Honors: Magna Cum Laude
- Major: History
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Corporate Lawyer of the Year, Century City Bar Association, 1998
- LA Copyright Society – Member
- Beverly Hills Bar Association – Member
- State Bar of California – Member
- State Bar of California, 1997 - 2002 – IP Executive Committee
- State Bar of California, 1999 – Secretary, IP Executive Committee
- State Bar of California, 2000 &ndash Vice Chair, IP Executive Committee
- State Bar of California, 2001 - 2002 – Chair, IP Executive Committee
- LA Copyright Society, 1999 - 2002 – Trustee
- LA Copyright Society, 2008 - Present – Trustee
- Bryan Cave, Counsel, 2005 - 2007
- Katten Muchin Rosenman, Counsel, 2000 - 2005
- The Times Mirror Company, Director of Intellectual Property & Associate General Counsel, 1996 - 2000
- Alschuler Grossman & Pines, Partner, 1986 - 1996
- Memel Jacobs Pierno & Gersh, Associate, 1980 - 1986
- City of Los Angeles, Legislative Analyst, 1975 - 1979
KATHERINE L. MCDANIEL received her Bachelor of Arts in History from Occidental College in 1974, and her Juris Doctor and Master of Business Administration from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1980. She specializes in trademark and copyright registration, enforcement, licensing, clearance and transactional matters, domestic and international, including domain name and Internet issues, rights of publicity, trade secret, unfair competition, advertising, international trade and related issues, and sweepstakes contests and promotions. She serves a variety of clients, primarily in the publishing, advertising and entertainment industries, but also in manufacturing, apparel and toy businesses.
Before joining the firm in 2007, Ms. McDaniel was Counsel at Bryan Cave from 2005-2007 and at Katten Muchin Rosenman from 2000-2005. From 1996-2000, she was the Director of Intellectual Property and Associate General Counsel for The Times Mirror Company, whose holdings included the Los Angeles Times, Newsday, The Baltimore Sun, The Hartford Courant, Times Mirror Magazines (The Sporting News, Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, Golf, Popular Science, Transworld Snowboarding, Transworld Skateboarding, etc.), Matthew Bender, Shepards, Mosby, Jeppesen, Staywell, Harry Abrams, CRC Press, and Hollywood Online. She is a former Chair of the IP Section of the California State Bar, a Trustee of the Los Angeles Copyright Society, and was the Century City Bar Association's 1998 Corporate Lawyer of the Year.
Ms. McDaniel has been a member of the bar of the State of California since 1980. She is an active member of the Los Angeles Copyright Society.